Sunday, 26 June 2016

Weekly Round-Up #4 | June 2016

The beginning of this week was busy but in a pretty mundane way. I'm going on holiday with my family on Wednesday for 10 days and I can't wait! As my parents were working all week and I was the only one in the family with pretty much nothing to do, I was put in charge of organising the sights to see, things to do and places to eat in. So that has been keeping me very busy, which is why I didn't manage to get a post up on Wednesday or Thursday of last week. I'm really sorry about that! I've decided that to make up for the 4 days worth of posts I've missed in my June challenge, I'll continue posting every day from today until the 4th of July. (And then I might take a week off!)

Thursday was a pretty momentous day in my life as I voted for the first time. I think it's kind of crazy that the first time I've ever voted was in what was probably the most important vote of my lifetime: the EU Referendum. I voted for the UK to remain in the European Union and it is something I felt very passionate about after studying the European Union for part of my Business Studies A Level. Also the fact that I'm so into my languages means I'm considering working abroad when I'm older. Being in the European Union opened up many job prospects and would have enabled me to freely travel to and work in France or Spain.

Copyright: ITV News
Also, on Thursday my friends finished their exams which meant that night I finally got to go out and celebrate the end of exams and my birthday! It was such a good night and it was so good to finally be able to just let loose with all my friends! However, I do regret wearing 6-inch heels as my feet were still feeling a bit worse for wear two days later!

A pretty awful photo of my friend Orlaith and I :)
I got home at 2am and sat up for a bit watching the coverage of the EU Referendum results. It got a bit addictive and before I knew it was nearly 5am and they announced that the devastating news that the United Kingdom was to leave the European Union. I am honestly still so shocked about it and I feel that both the short-term and long-term benefits of Brexit could be extremely dangerous, not only due to the impact on the economy and employment levels but also due to a new type of politics that appears to be emerging. I'm also upset that a lot of arguments during the campaign was based on lies. For example, it was not only stated but printed on the side of buses and on billboards that if we leave, we would have £350 million a week to spend on the NHS. On Friday morning, Nigel Farage stated that it was a 'mistake' for Leave to claim this. Sorry but that is not a mistake. A mistake is accidentally saying something you don't mean, but Leave meant this meaning it was a blatant lie. People didn't know this and based their vote on lies such as this. I do fear for the future of my generation and I don't feel it's fair that considering 75% of under 24 year olds voted remain, our future was decided by the older generation. Also, on this note I really recommend reading this opinion piece from The Guardian which sums up perfectly how I, along with a lot of other people my age, feel.


On Saturday, my dad and I went to my holiday house in Donegal as I was playing in a golf competition. I played absolutely awful, but the two ladies I was playing with were lovely and it didn't rain, which is always a positive. In Ireland, any round of golf where you get into the clubhouse dry is a successful round, no matter how you actually play!


My dad and I then got a Chinese and went to my Granny and Granda's house to watch the gaelic match between Monaghan and Donegal and then the Euro match between Portugal and Croatia.

This morning after getting up and packing what little stuff we had brought with us, my dad and I went out for breakfast. I was still full from the Chinese last night so I just had tea and a croissant. When we got back home, we just watched the Ireland v France game and my brother and I made chocolate chip cookies after dinner, which was a nice way to end the week.


- Caoimhe x

♡ Twitter | Bloglovin' | Instagram ♡

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik